“Misty Morning In Napa”
Many artists I know have been working diligently as they create beautiful works and getting them ready for art shows all around the country and I have been doing that as well. In fact, I have been letting quite a few paintings stack up, thinking that I would just send them out to the framers one painting at a time when it was time for an art show or two. This Fall I was asked to enter my work into three different art shows and one of the shows wanted 9 paintings to display! Wow, 12 paintings going out was such a thrill but then reality hit me as I needed to get 9 of those paintings framed, eek!
The dilemma, paying to have 9 paintings framed. It is far too costly to have that many professionally framed so I drove out to a wholesale framing business about an hour away to get the supplies I needed to mat my work, but they tell me they won’t cut the frames without a resale license. So what do I do? I call hubby at work and asked if he could make the frames if I picked up the moulding and of course, his sweet answer was yes. HA! It was far more difficult than expected and we needed specialized tools. Argh, with only a few weeks to go, we were committed, so we drove over all of God’s green earth to purchase the tools needed, glass, etc. Now add in the gigantic learning curve “voila” the frames are done in just the nick of time! We both worked very hard and although it came at a time consuming cost (plus equipment and materials), the entire frame job for each painting was so well done. The big lesson learned for us is that there is a reason framers charge so much!
Above, “Vineyard Poppies”, is one of the many frames we put together.
My husbands’ father used to own a wholesale art agallery and my husband used to be a “fitter”. He matted and assembled the frames, so learning how to cut the frames was just another step for him to be proficient in. He taught me how to mat the art but he did all the rest. This was a match made in heaven!
Below is a sampling of my art in the different shows:
And last but not least…
“Misty Morning In Napa” (45″ x 60″ oil triptych) won Best of Show in the Thousand Oaks Art Association
As we approach Thanksgiving, take care and be safe.🎨
I’ve needed to put my sketchbook and paints aside for a short period of time in order to mat and frame quite a few of my paintings for three upcoming art shows. Being an “empty nester” is a pretty exciting chapter in my life and I am able to pursue my art as well as be involved with so many amazing artists. Having 9+ paintings would be a pretty penny to send out to a professional framer so I’ve spent a lot of time matting the artwork myself, having glass cut and this weekend my husband will cut the frames for me., then the final stage will be putting it altogether. It is a lengthy project but I actually love being a part of this stage preparing my artwork for shows.
The Thousand Oaks Art Association is a wonderful group of talented people and I am so pleased to have two of my paintings in this show. If anyone is local, come on by to see all the beautiful work on display.
12″ x 16″ oil on paper
In the beginning of summer, there was a question that I needed to ask myself, “How much time with social media is too much time?”. As I do my best to get my work “out there”, I realized that for me, it was taking over the already limited time I had to paint so I decided to just focus on my painting. I started by making a plan to finish a stack of paintings that I had set aside quite awhile ago before starting anything new AND before posting. I plan to stick with this plan in order to produce more work and post less.
Here are the paintings that I have completed:
“Poppies In The Vineyard” (22″ x 30″ rework/acrylics on watercolor paper)
“A Vineyard Row” (22″ x 30″ rework/acrylics on watercolor paper)
“Blueberries” (12″ x 16″ oil on primed watercolor paper)
Now that the stack has been completed, I feel much better about focusing on new projects. Until next time, take care and enjoy the last bits of summertime fun and warm weather!
Painting on a watercolor block is perfect for painting with watercolors because the “buckling” is very slight. When removing each sheet you use a palette knife but I was in a rush and used a Exacto knife with a #11 blade and marred the surface edges of the next sheet. Even though I thought the damage was slight, it was bad enough to scrap the idea of using watercolors.
I have now moved to “Plan B”. I used a black Sharpie to go over the lines that I had already drawn then gesso’d over the entire surface. This is going to be my experimental project using oil paints and it will be interesting to see if the final outcome will be worth ever doing again.